"I've never heard of scaffolded silent reading.  I may be able to take a guess
at what it is but could you explain it to us instead?"
Thanks,
Elisa

I had also never heard of scaffolded silent reading.  I did a search and found
a clear explanation, research, and conference sheet samples:
http://www.reading.org/downloads/WC_handouts/Exploring%20Scaffolded%20Silent%20Reading%20(ScSR).pdf

It makes a lot of sense because it adds in the accountability piece that is
lacking in traditional SSR, but I still struggle with holding children
accountable for their personal reading time.  A lot of time is spent filling
out homework reading logs and in-school reading logs.  The scaffolded silent
reading seems is more about teacher conferencing and teacher as record keeper.
I wonder if you couldn't accomplish the same thing through conversation,
anecdotal notes, and asking children to do book chats about books they are
reading and enjoying?

Leslie R.Stewart
Grade 3 Teacher
To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful,  ready
always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry.  ~
Gaston Bachelard ~