My school will start writing workshop this fall.

How do you make sure students continue working when you conference with
individuals about their work?  Other teachers have reported (and I have noticed
in my own experiences) that when the teacher works with one student, the other
students think they can take that time to socialize.

In a short time, no one is working, and everyone is just visiting.

I need some exact words that will work with middle school students.
Thanks!
Jan