Jan,

One thing I always did at the beginning of the year regarding writer's and reader's workshop is to have a class meeting at which we talk about what the goals are for this structure. During that meeting I have the students offer what should be appropriate behavior. Sometimes I did a "Looks Like" and "Sounds Like" chart. This way, students themselves are able to establish the norms of behavior for the workshop time.

Cant hurt. :-)
Renee