Hi, Patrice,

We used:  Write a letter to your teacher telling her/him what she should
know about you.  (examples: learning issues, where you need to sit in the
classroom, what your evenings are like, if you like to work alone/in groups,
what types of things you do outside of school, etc.)

It worked well.  I got to know them as I got to know their writing
styles/issues.  And it gave them a real reason for writing.

Mindy