Kim and Ellen,
I have a similar story to share.  I had a sixth grader that walked into my
classroom the first day of class and announced to me and everyone else, "I
don't like to read.  I don't read.  Lots of luck getting me to read Ms. C."
I love a good challenge!  This young man was smart, creative, technology
oriented, and of course I guess goes without saying had a thing for public
speaking!
Later about November we were having silent reading time in the classroom and
mid way through he stood up slammed the book he was reading shut and
announced with great enthusiasm, "I just want everyone to know I just
finished my first chapter book ever!"  Everyone looked up from their books
and a moment of silence fell on the room before everyone applauded and "high
fived" him.  A celebration oh yeah, a pivotal moment without a doubt.
Lastly he came to me and said, "I didn't think you could do it!"  We smiled
at each other and "high fived" and let the road blocks fall away and he read
his way through the remainder of the year.  I hope, Kim, like your student
he never lost the thirst for a good book.
Susan