In my district, special ed teachers use Wilson Reading, which is a tactile
phonics program, coupled with other components in a reading program.  IF THE
PROGRAM IS FOLLOWED RELIGIOUSLY (not just pieces of it, or skipping over
parts), there's been a lot of success with grade 2-4 children.  Some other
teachers claim to teach Wilson, but they only use the "tapping" part, which
involves students touching their fingers to their thumb for each "sound" they
hear, then blending these sounds into words.
One special ed teacher used Orton Gillingham, which also used body movements in
conjunction with sounds.  She used this with kdg & 1st graders, but she has
since left the district, so I don't know her thoughts on its success.