I also use Gooney Bird Green and The Guffalo.  Do not show pictures and let
students draw as you read.
Try using music, too.
Ruth DeVoll
Title One
Mesquite, Tx

On 11/4/09 4:34 AM, "Kristin Kincaid" <kristinkinc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I don't know of riddle poems, but I've used the Haiku in the book "If Not for
the Cat" by Jack Prelutsky to teach inferencing.  I don't show the
illustrations and students use the clues to infer what animal the poem is
about.  The vocabulary is very rich, and I think very appropriate for 4th
grade; I used it with 3rd.

Kristin