Okay, so now it's becoming clear to me why it seemed like I was having an
"out of body" experience when a discussion started last summer about
themes.  I just couldn't figure it out.  Egocentric, I guess--too many years
with 6 year olds.  What was in MY schema was "theme studies" and "inquiry
cycles".  Now, after this discussion, I realize that what was in many of the
other minds was "theme" as in the literary term.  WOW!  It just goes to
show; you never know!  I'm sure all of us were completely comfortable that
we were talking about the same thing, and we all knew just what it was.
:-)  To us, it was what we thought it was...as individuals!  Amazing.  I
kept being confused because what people were saying just didn't make sense
in "my" little discussion.  I guess it's a good time to laugh at myself.
Bev P.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Domina.Natasha <
domina.nata...@north-haven.k12.ct.us> wrote:

> I feel pretty uncertain about it--especially after reading other people's
> posts, but how I've thought about those terms in the past are:
> yes to the first part of what you said--that themes tend to be short
> phrases
> I think of author's message as our interpretations of that word/phrase, but
> our interpretation of what seems to be a central focus of the book, that we
> think most people would agree on that interpretation.
> Hmm.  I'm rethinking that idea the longer I sit here.  Maybe I would agree
> with you.  I'm going to have to let those ideas percolate in my brain for a
> while.
> Thanks!
> Natasha
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 19
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:23:06 EST
> From: kuko...@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Theme vs. author's message
> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
>
> So are you saying themes are like one or two word phrases and author's
> messages are our interpretations of that word or those phrase as it relates
> the reader personally?
>

> In a message dated 11/9/2009 9:32:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> domina.nata...@north-haven.k12.ct.us writes:
>
> Not  going on any research, just my own opinion--
> I think of theme as more of  one word summing up a big idea: "friendship",
> "loss", "tolerance".
> I  think of the author's message as more of a sentence that tells what we
> think  the author thinks about those big ideas: "We should be friends with
> all kinds  of people," "Talking about our loss helps us heal."
> Maybe (I'm  thinking as I write here), themes tell what big ideas are
> explored and  author's message tells the conclusion we've drawn from
> exploring
> those big  ideas....?
>
> Natasha

"There is nothing so unequal as equal treatment of unequals."    Chief
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes