Hi Judy --

If the students have some background about the social and political environment
of the time period because they are studying it with their social studies
teacher, what about a historical fiction unit?  Perhaps you can have book clubs
reading different
titles, and their task is to examine how the social and political environment
of the times impacted the individual characters: how the time they lived in
prompted the conflict they encounter in the story, and how the time period
perhaps limited their
choices for solutions to that conflict.  Then maybe they can collectively
create a matrix on butcher paper that each group fills in, with the usual
"title, author, character, setting, conflict, solution", but where they can
also record their thinking
about what if the character lived today, and how the story would be different,
or if the character were different how it might have affected the story.  They
also fill in connections they make (to self, to other texts, to world, to their
social studies
content), and record "big questions" they encounter through their reading and
conversations.

I did something similar, and I will see if I can find any of the materials I
created (don't hold your breath....).  During my unit I read aloud Phoebe the
Spy and Samuel's Choice; I chose those because I taught in a New York City
school and both books
take place in New York at the time of the Revolution.  The main characters are
both young African-Americans who have to make risky choices to join in the
fight in small but meaningful ways, but Phoebe is free and Samuel is a slave,
though they lived at
the same time and across the river from one another.  We started the matrix
with this shared experience through the read aloud, and then groups of students
read a  book together in book clubs that was at their level but still was
historical fiction from
the time period.

Just a thought...

Randy Lichtenwalner