From: Ron Borchert <borch...@vcn.com>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Tue, May 4, 2010 8:13 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Revolutionary War unit help request

-- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Dotson" <judydotson2...@yahoo.com>
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:52 AM
Subject: [MOSAIC] Revolutionary War unit help request

Greetings! Anyone have info they'd be willing to share on Rev War
references/sitea/units they've done/used? I teach reading to all the 5th
graders in my building so I'm primarily looking for literacy related items
rather than social studies.

We too have been looking for Revolutionary War materials, especially those
written below a fifth grade reading level. Here is a list of books we found at
our public library with the lexile levels:

Buttons for General Washington 460L

The Revolutionary War by Brendan January 710 I

Changes for Felicity: A winter . . 550L

Revolutionary War on Wednesday 320L

If Your Grew Up With George Washington 680L

The Declaration of Independence 710L

Sybil Ludington's Midnight Ride 490L

The Many Lives of Benjamin Franklin ?

  Graphic Novels
Winter at Valley Forge 550L

George Washington: Leading a New Nation 600L

Thomas Jefferson: Great American 550L

The Boston Tea Party by Matt Doe den 600L

Weapons of the Revolutionary War by Matt Doeden 720L

The Boston Massacre by Michael Burgan 590L

Betsy Ross and the American Flag by Kay Olson 610L

Ben Franklin, An American Genius by Kay Olson 610L

Dolly Madison Saves History by Roy Smalley ?

Battle of Bunker Hill by Michael Burgeon 650L

Benedict Arnold: American Hero and Traitor 540L
By Michael Burgan

Here are a few websites:

http://havefunwithhistory.com/index.html
http://www.patriotresource.com/amerrev/documents/givemelib.html - Patrick
Henry's speech written at a third grade reading level
http://www.kidinfo.com/american_history/american_revolution.html

Hope this helps.

Barb