For fifth-grade students:
I've used Top Secret by John  Reynolds Gardiner which brings in the scientific
process and the students love it.   However, it is dated by the use of a rotary
telephone.
Also, Rex by Fred Yager
My students love the story and it also allows us to begin to use the  thesaurus
for Yager's one flaw which is using "said" too much.

Teri Davis