From: "Stewart, L" <lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 1:05:26 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] back to school read alouds

I know it's been done before but would you share your most favorite, highly
engaging read-alouds for the start of school.  My old standbys did not work
well

last year.  My students weren't enchanted by Roald Dahl or Creecher's Love That
Dog.  I am looking for great, not too long, novels.  I have many wonderful
picture books to select from, but I would even like to hear of any newer ones.
On that note I just purchased Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind by Judy
Finchler and Kevin O'Malley and I really enjoyed it.  It is about a teacher
trying to find that one book for each of the children in her classroom that
will

turn them into readers.
Thanks!
Leslie

Leslie R. Stewart/Grade 3
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us<mailto:lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us>
203-481-5386, 203-483-0749 FAX

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
~Michelangelo<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/michelange108779.html>