Sally,
great response, I hope Kaui and others read it and it makes them think: why
did I go into teaching in the first place? To spoonfeed pap to my students
or to make a difference in their lives? To help them pass a test or to help
them develop into lifelong learners, thinkers, readers. I'm afraid we cannot
have it both ways.  It's sad to me that the question authority days are over
and many in the profession are deferring to the powers that be.  We are the
educated educators; we are the professionals who should be lifelong learners
and reflective practicioners.  We need to take back the educating of our
students, even if we have to start grassroots again  like in the '80s.
Maureen