Mindy, I think you've described this very well.  When we look at standards
across states and etc. often they are much the same.  I do think at times
there are subtle differences, words that have very different connotations if
we are serious about understanding different assumptions about learning
though.  And states do very with some very long fragmented lists of very
specific pieces of knowledge and skills (like California's - my state) and
others more general.

But if we know our subject/field etc. and how children learn and grow and
develop in that field or subject, there is much to be agreed on and they
just aren't that scary.  I honestly never worried much about standards.  I
just knew how writing and reading develop across time and I just started
where each child was and worked to support that child in moving forward!  I
was confident about my professional ability as a teacher.

But there are big problems with what is happening now I (and others)
believe.  The common core standards are being set forth as ones that we will
all follow.  And this will enable curriculum developers to sell their wares
across all the states.  In fact, word has been sent out already to all those
education entrepreneurs out there that this will make their jobs easier.
And this will allow national assessments  that will ensure that everyone
follows and interprets these standards in the same way.  And of all this
frankly IS really scary.

Does this make some sense?

Sally