From: elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, May 25, 2011 7:58 am
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Common Core - response to feeling the standards arealways
helpful

Hmm, Meena. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with Krashen? I guess I'm wondering
what your "warning" is about?
Thanks,
Elisa

From: Mena <drmarinac...@aol.com>
Sender: mosaic-bounces+elwaingortji=cbe.ab...@literacyworkshop.org
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 10:19:50
To: <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Common Core - response to feeling the standards are
 always helpful

I love a dynamic conversation on Mosaic...I just have to contribute. I just
want
to add a warning that the standards don't result in more attention to testing
and remove attention to learning that is "acquired and not taught" as Krashen
would say..see his ed week blog s below...

> On 5/22/2011 11:41 AM, Stephen Krashen wrote:
> > This is my comment on an ed week blog. Mary Ann Zehr reports on a paper by
Robert Liquanti with suggestions for ELL assessment. Mr. Liquanti's paper, I
argue, makes perfect sense if we assume that we LEARN academic language
consciously. I suggest that most of academic language is ACQUIRED.  I wonder if
the testing community is even aware of this possibility.

> > Re: Robert Linquanti, WestEd, Strengthening
> Assessment
> > Posted on:  edweek blogs

> > Liquanti assumes that academic language can be
> "defined, taught and measured explicitly" (p. 16). If we
> accept this assumption, it makes sense to describe the
> trajectory of skills to be mastered ("mapping out key
> academic competencies," p. 23) and confirm that students are
> learning them using formative tests.  But this
> assumption is not supported by research or
> observation.  The arguments and counterevidence have
> been in the professional literature for decades: The system
> is very complex: Linguists are still struggling to describe
> "academic language" and there are no known cases in which
> people have mastered more than small amounts of academic
> language through deliberate study.
> >
> > A better hypothesis is that nearly all of academic
> language is acquired, or absorbed, the way language in
> general is acquired: Through understanding message, or
> comprehensible input.  This is confirmed by studies
> that demonstrate the success of sheltered subject matter
> teaching, classes in subject matter taught in English, with
> presentations and readings made comprehensible for second
> language acquirers. This is also confirmed by studies
> showing that students acquire an enormous amount of academic
> language through extensive reading, probably the most
> powerful tool for reaching advanced levels of English
> competence. I have argued that extensive pleasure reading is
> the bridge from lower to higher levels of competence, and
> brings students to the point where many difficult texts and
> aural presentations are comprehensible.
> >
> > If even some of academic language is acquired and not
> consciously learned, we have to rethink the entire testing
> situation. If it is true, we should invest in libraries, not
> more subtle (and expensive) means of testing.
> >

> - comments

Philomena Marinaccio-Eckel, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning