Evelia
Every year I taught my schedule for introducing strategies was different,
depending on the kids and where I was in my learning about strategy
instruction. I usually started with metacognition...establishing the idea that
reading is thinking. In my new setting in a Title One school this year, I found
that first I had to establish what thinking was ! My kids thought that if they
repeated the words verbatim from the book that it was thinking....and helping
kids really understand what thinking was helped move them forward. I worked to
establish first that thinking was talking back to the author or to others about
the book. It includes emotional reactions to the book, questions, etc. THEN, I
often went to connections as a type of thinking first as connections help with
predictions, inferences, drawing conclusions, visualizing etc.

After that, I let the kids guide me. As I conferenced, what did they seem to
need most to move them forward as readers? What have they already had
experiences with? I always tried to integrate one strategy study into another.
So, if I taught inferences, I taught it first in a way that was isolated
first... then... what does making inferences have to do with predicting? With
connections? I would ask the kids to think about whether or not they should use
these strategies together, or choose one rather than another.  I don't think
there is any one right answer to these questions... but I think that when we
read we use strategies often unconsciously (as a skill rather than as a choice)
and they are used together or based on the needs of the reader at that moment.

You will find that almost everyone does it differently. I don't know of any
established "best" order. I think it depends on your kids.

Jennifer L. Palmer
Instructional Facilitator, National Board Certified Teacher (EC Gen)
Magnolia Elementary School
901 Trimble Road, Joppa, MD 21085
Phone:  (410) 612-1553
Fax:  (410) 612-1576
In EVERY child...a touch of GREATNESS!!!
Proud of our Title One School!