Actually the term whole language wasn't even coined until the early to mid-eighties. What you may be referring to is the whole WORD approach which was developed and widely used in the 50s and very early 60s by basal programs such as Scott Foresman. However, as early as the very early 60s, basal programs such as Houghton Mifflin integrated phonics into every lesson. No, it wasn't a phonics only program, but phonics was a vital part of every lesson, starting from day one of kindergarten. SRA's programs at that time approached early reading instruction as a mostly decoding, phonetic program; you may remember their programmed readers which were to be done independently in the mid- 60s. They, of course, bear a striking resemblance to today's Reading Mastery, which is very, very similar and was developed by Zig Englemann in the late 60s tho be used as a program mostly for SPED students, ones we would now say had a reading disability.

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
From: Carol Tavares <carolt1...@gmail.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, Jun 30, 2011 18:31:57 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Phonics in the 50s and 60s

Hi!

I grew up during that period and I agree there were no phonics programs in
use then.  OtIt was all whole language back then.   I didn't learn about
phonics until I was studying education in college - about 20 years ago.
Things have sure changed.

Carol T.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Karen Burnside