On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Suzanne Goebert wrote:

In my District they want us to use the gradual release model but they also want us to tell the children (I teach Gr.2) when we are changing to the next phase. They want to hear in our lessons that we are saying I do, we do together, and you do alone. That way the children will know what their job is.

Does your district think children do not know "what their job is" when you say to them "ok you're going to work in a group now" or "this one you are doing by yourself"?

My question is...Do most of you use the words to signal your children to change to the next phase? Or do you just make sure that your lessons have all of the phases??

no on both counts

I am not one who believes that *every lesson* needs to include a prescribed list of certain components decided by somebody who isn't even in my classroom.

In fact, I think this is silliness. Sounds like a scripted version of a gradual release model, which is not supposed to be a checklist but an overall way of doing things.

Call me cranky.

Renee