From: Conner-Righter, Mary <mrigh...@pennsvalley.org>
To: Mosaic <Mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Tue, Oct 11, 2011 12:57 am
Subject: [MOSAIC] fluency measures

Just a question...We use DIBELS oral reading fluency passages to measure
students' reading rate in grades 1 and 2. These readings are considered
'cold' reads because the students do not preview or practice the passage. We
also have district assessments which include a fluency/rate passage for
grades 1-4. The discussion has come up that perhaps we should do a 'warm'
read with these passages to compare to the DIBELS - for grades 1 and 2.  I
read in the posts that there are many different assessment products being
used in schools.  Are the fluency measures mostly done as cold or warm
reads?
I also wonder if the fluency rubrics such as Hasbrouck and Tindel or Shinn
have been normed on cold or warm reads.  It seems it would be important to
assess according to how the rubric was normed.

Thank you for any input,
Mary