Sorry I'm jumping in during the middle of this conversation, but I'd be
interested in knowing what the definition of formative assessments is.  My
fear is that some of the common formative assessments are just practice
summative assessments, or "checkpoints" during a unit.  My thinking is that
formative assessments are quick and varied assessments used to give
feedback and guide instruction for individual students, small groups and
whole classes. Formative assessments, I think, should propel student
thinking and involve students - not just used by the teacher. I'd be
interested in what others think.