From: mosaic-bounces+mcostello=rhnet....@literacyworkshop.org
[mosaic-bounces+mcostello=rhnet....@literacyworkshop.org] on behalf of Melissa
Kile [tchkg...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:51 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] fountas & Pinnell BAS

Jacki,
Our school has the F&P Assessment Kits (older edition & the new). We
currently have 2-3 per grade (with 5-6 teachers). We are discovering that
isn't enough. We really need one per teacher, since we do our running
records at pretty much the same time (beginning/middle/end of year, and as
needed for some kids). A few weeks ago, you could see us running up and
down the halls getting books from each other. Kind of a pain.

It is easy to use, but will take a little longer due to the comprehension
conversation. We previously used Rigby's kit, and we just handed the
questions to the kids to answer after they read to us. The conversation,
which I really like, takes longer. You can count on 10 minutes for Levels
A-H, and 15 minutes for the higher levels. We don't typically do the
writing portion of the comprehension.

I highly recommend 2-3 people on your staff get trained on how to use this
kit, either by really studying the CD videos and teacher's guides, or by
going to a workshop held by Heinemann. Then, I highly recommend training
your staff before they get their hands on the kits.

I don't use the data management component, and I don't know if anyone on
our staff does. It looks pretty handy, tho.

I would say the kits are worth the $350 or so that they cost. As far as I
know, most everyone at our school likes them.

Melissa/VA/2nd

--
*Melissa Kile*
Second Grade Teacher, Auburn ES