Hi there,

I am just reading a perfect book on exactly this topic. "Put Thinking to the
Test" by Lori L. Conrad, Missy Matthews, Cheryl Zimmerman and Patrick A. Allen.
The forward is written by Ellin Oliver Keene which should tell you a quality
book is to follow. The book talks about treating tests as a specific genre just
as Pauline suggested in the post below. Here is a quote from the book to give
you an idea:

"Strategic, active, flexible thinking occurs as learners make specific
decisions to understand - especially when they negotiate the particular demands
imposed by high-stakes, standardized tests."

Pauline has hit the nail on the head. It does not mean you need to abandon the
great teaching you are doing now but just to teach children ways to apply the
strategies they are learning in a testing context. In Ellin's words "children
can gradually learn to think like effective test takers - throughout the year."

Another book you might like to read is "Strategies That Work" by Harvey and
Goudvis. They have a chapter on teaching testing as a genre and how to apply
the comprehension strategies we know readers need to use. This is an all round
excellent book on teaching comprehension strategies.

And just an observation about being data driven - this is not such a bad thing
as long as the data is used strategically!! We need to use data (although of
course not just testing) to tell us what our individual students already know
and to tell us about their next step. If you are doing this, talk to your
administrators about how you are using the data to inform your teaching. For
Reader's Workshop to be successful, you need to be able to identify the needs
of each of your students and work from there (especially comprehension
strategies). I can't stress enough how important this is in developing your
students' skills. How wonderful that other teachers are noticing that your
students are engaged and forming a reading community! Now take it the next step
and really find out what each of your students need to learn and go from there.

Keep strong!

Lynette

Sent from my iPad