I second Pauline's thoughts. I would also add that I teach the QAR strategy at the beginning of the year and then we use this and other test taking strategies to answer questions in a test format throughout the year. We teach test taking as a separate genre. Kids need to know how the elements or characteristics of tests work , the same way they understand the elements of reading a mystery or any other genre .
Linda