That is truly sad, and I feel your pain. It's terrible when administrators don't understand what best practices are, and they are the ones making all of the decisions! You'll have to decide now, which is the most important thing: keeping your job or your integrity. That's a tough choice! You may have to keep you job; most of us do. At my school, it's all about direct instruction, fidelity to programs, and following the script. I am facing similar choices myself.

Remember that your principal will likely not be at your school forever, so hopefully he or she will be moving on to greener pastures soon. Perhaps you will get a more reasonable principal next time with a better knowledge of curriculum and instruction.
Heidi