From: "Renee" <phoenix...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: [MOSAIC] Saddened by Administration Mandate: Students and      Choice
Reading In Class (Susan Chicvara)
Date: Wed, May 30, 2012 9:38 am

I, for one, am very happy to hear this and hope that it continues. Sadly, where
I substitute, they are still training all the teachers in "direct instruction"
and everything revolves around test scores, with increasing numbers of tests
every year, both standardized and district-created, and piles of test prep
materials growing bigger every year, with principals and superintendent touting
"research" that supports things like Saxon Math and Direct Instruction and data
driven curriculum.

Renee

On May 29, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Betty Laughlin wrote:

> I just went to a workshop for my district where they said the same > thing!
> Hooray!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 28, 2012, at 9:02 PM, "Tracy Gaestel" <aj...@lafn.org> wrote:
>
> For all of you in this situation, hang in there.  Last week our
> superintendent came to a meeting of people selected to work on aligning
> our curriculum to the Common Core Standards.  He wanted to tell us
> personally that whatever had happened in the past, we were now to treat
> the text books as tools to help us plan lessons that help our students
> achieve proficiency on the grade level standards.  The pendulum is
> swinging back.  I was afraid that this day would never come.  (He had > to
> come because many of the teachers couldn't believe what the presenters
> were telling us) Teach?  We don't need to be on the same page?  We > don't
> even have to use the same stories?  (Someone even asked "how can we do
> that?")  I faintly heard the Hallelujah chorus in the background and I > had
> to stop myself from dancing in the auditorium.

"The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing
makes it happen."
~ Frank Lloyd Wright