What Jennifer says that's especially important, I believe, is:   "Spelling
generalizations will transfer when students compare and contrast words and
develop their own generalizations. Rules are only really useful as a
mnemonic once students already have some understanding of how words work."

 When you are really a constructivist philosophically, this seems so
obvious that you can't understand why others don't "get it" when it comes
to "school learning" but understand it well out in the world.  Sometimes it
appears we decide what we believe and just never see any evidence to the
contrary, such as when my teaching partner knew that her kids spelled fewer
high-use spelling words correctly than mine, she never wavered as to her
belief system about best practice.