What practices did you change that you saw really made a difference.
Pat K
On Jun 11, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Palmer, Jennifer wrote:

And, Bev, you've hit on something. Why don't we change practices when we know something doesn't work? Lots of reasons for different people :
1. We sometimes don't know a better way.
2. We teach the way we were taught.
3. We don't understand how words work...or how kids learn them
4 We are afraid of trying something that our administrators/ parents won't appreciate OR it might somehow hurt our results on the next big state test.

I changed practices after doing my National Boards. I really started watching kids carefully AND I learned that what I did mattered... That I had lots I could do to help every child achieve. In research thats called efficacy. We must believe that how we teach and what we do matters... And not blame it on parents, NCLB or whatever. Did I reach every kid? No. But when I realized that I wasn't effective teaching traditionally... AND when I changed my practices student outcomes improved...taking responsibility for my kids' learning... That made all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone