On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Beverlee Paul <beverleep...@gmail.com>wrote:

"... another teacher and I compared results for eight years since neither
> of us could convince the other we knew a better way. She taught spelling
> with workbooks. I taught no "spelling" in her way of thinking. No formal
> spelling program in my room. We gave tests at the end of every single year
> of about 220 words, being very sure the students couldn't "help themselves"
> in any way. First thing: my kids scored SIGNIFICANTLY higher than hers
> every year. Second thing: she still didn't change her practice. More later.
> <http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive>

Re: "she still didn't change her practice" -- don't have it at my
fingertips, and it was based more on right-wing, left-wing political views
-- research a few years back, that shows even when people are shown to be
wrong (by the facts) they actually become *more* entrenched in their
thinking!! ?   [Are we doomed?]

Also, I think your comment speaks to, we must (instead? in addition?) teach
children to CARE that they spelled correctly. ?? Various means, re this.

Simple gimmick, among others, not re 'caring' but re high
frequency/commonly misspelled (gril, agin, etc.) -- I have done "ticket out
the door" asking kids in the door line-up to spell some of these (with word
wall, looking or not looking). Tedious (too long also) to do with everyone,
but you pick random kids (or every third, or whatever); also get them
(sometimes) to ham it up (be loud, or rhythmic) as this is also how we
teach piano. ;-)  (Vary the rhythms in scales etc., solidifies that muscle
memory, is the idea.) Plus the 'fun factor' cannot be underestimated, as to
value in daily classroom life!

Fantastic discussion, thanks everyone.

Linda Rightmire
SD #73, Kamloops, BC