Another thing that bothers me so much is that children are not "parts"
which run down an assembly line in the same way at the same speed, and, you
know what, teaching isn't always "efficient."  How many times have you seen
a child make no apparent progress in, say, identifying the names of the
letters for one, two, maybe three months and then, in what appears to be
one week, "masters" the task quickly and efficiently and to our liking?
 One difference between a child and an engine is that you can see "into" an
engine as it makes its way down the assembly line and so you know exactly
what has been done and what is left to do.  We're just plain foolish if we
think we know what all is going on inside a child's head at all times.

--
‎"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not
fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau