Thanks Barry. My comments below to add some details.

 On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:33:34 +0100, Barry Haddow
 <bhad...@staffmail.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> This sounds very useful. I've seen mentions of some of these binary
> packages
> on the moses list, but I don't think they're all easily available,
> and there's
> no mention on the moses website.
>
> I've answered what questions I can below - I wouldn't necessarily be
> using the
> binary packages personally, so I can't answer them all.
>

> On Wednesday 26 October 2011 03:03:26 Tom Hoar wrote:
>>  I would like to make a contribution to the Moses project. I can
>> create
>>  binary install packages for BerkeleyAligner, GIZA++, MGIZA++,
>> RandLM,
>>  IRSTLM, and Moses Decoder. These could be an alternative to the
>> source
>>  code download and replace the (outdated) moses source tarball on
>> the
>>  sourceforge.net site. We would update the install binaries every 6
>>  months or as necessary.
>>
>>  BitRock.com has granted InstallBuilder open source licenses for
>> these
>>  six moses components. InstallBuilder creates self-contained install
>>  binaries that automatically handle dependencies. The install binary
>>  automatically detects a GUI or command line environment. Users can
>>  override the default install locations and other choices like the
>> script
>>  folder from either a GUI or command line install. I'm also happy to
>>  contribute these free open source InstallBuilder licenses to the
>> Moses
>>  project.
>>
>>  Before committing to this, I have these questions of the
>> moses-support
>>  team:
>>
>>  1) Is this kind of unified installation support desirable
>>     among the moses-support team?
>
> Yes.
 Do others agree?

>>  2) Is it acceptable to host these on the main moses source
>>     repository similar to the old tarball?
>
> There isn't a big space allowance on (free) github, so it's best kept
> for
> source code. We can easily host binaries on statmt.org (send me a PM
> if you
> want to set this up) or if you're interested in hosting we can link
> from the
> moses website.
>
> We could also extend the current cruise control to copy a snapshot
> release to
> a standard location, when all tests pass.
 This is an interesting idea combined with the versioned releases and
 automatic downloads during install. The automatic download could pull
 form a versioned release snapshot instead of the main GIT repository.

>>  3) Should the install binaries include a source code image
>>     that users can update between binary updates?
>>
>>  4) Alternately, should the install binaries be a shell that
>>     downloads the GIT source and compiles/installs after
>>     download?
>
> I think it's good if users don't have to wait 6 months for a new
> binary
> release, and anything that helps them compile/install must be useful.
> We're
> planning to bring in versioned releases next year.
>

>>  5) What should be the default install location (/usr/local/lib
>>     or $HOME)?
>
> Probably /usr/local, but the packages should be relocatable.
 We currently support Debian packages for Ubuntu that install Moses
 component sources in their own /usr/local/src folder, compile/install
 binaries to their own /usr/local/lib folder, and create shortcuts in
 /usr/local/bin. We can replicate this in the new binary setup program
 for more platforms and allow users to relocate during install.

>>  6) What Linux distro should be supported? Debian/Ubuntu
>>     and Redhad/Centos. Any others?
>
> I would have thought .rpm and .deb cover most linuxes.
 BitRock InstallBuilder can create .rpm and .deb files. However, I
 envision using some advanced features that create a self-contained
 binary program, similar to a Windows setup.exe file. This approach
 isolates the installation from potential corruption in the .rpm/.deb
 systems. One advantage of a self-contained binary is the ability to
 download and then install when disconnected from the Internet. This
 benefit would be negated if we dynamically download a GIT snapshot
 during installation. We'll have to learn more about the InstallBuilder
 environment before committing to a final approach.