Hi,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM, somayeh bakhshaei
<s.bakhsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for all answers.
>
> Also thanks Jehan.
> As you might follow moses emails there is an inconsistency problem about
> tuning in mert (expressed by Neda)
> For reducing this problem everyone offered to tune the system repeatedly
> then choosing the best answer.

Thanks for this explication. Reading Tom Hoar's email, yours and
researching and finding the original discussion, I am not sure to have
understood what is the proposed solution:

- should we average all the weights in the various moses.ini generated
during these tunings? Would weights really still make sense doing so?

- should we compare the BLEU values of the various tuning and take
as-is (without modifying it) the moses.ini whose BLEU was the closer
to the average of all the BLEUs?

> It is a way of getting rid of local maxima but not exactly catching the
> global Maxima but instead trapping in another local one :)
> So I think a better solution is needed!

So if I get it, the logics is that we may get very good BLEU (as from
what I read, the closer to 1, the better) on some tuning, but they are
actually local maxima (hence may be in fact terrible against real life
data). Hence in order to counter this, we prefer to use a tuning which
made an average BLEU on our data because it would be more robust on
the long term?

Also, my mathematics are far, but from what I recall, when we want to
get away from local maxima/minima, one would prefer to use median
rather than the average (even more on short samples like here), which
is also very influence by local maxima. Shouldn't it also be the case
here?

Regards,

Jehan