Evidently, if you filter the phrase table then the LM is not as important as
you might feel. The question remains why isn't the system capable of finding
the most likely translations without the LM? Why do I need to filter to help
the system find them? This is undesirable behaviour. Clearly a bug.

I include the code I used for filtering. As you can see the 4th score only was
used as a filtering criteria.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

#

# Program filters phrase table to leave only phrase pairs

# with probability above a threshold

#

use strict;

use warnings;

use Getopt::Long;

my $phrase;

my $min;

my $phrase_table;

my $filtered_table;

GetOptions(     'min=f'         => \$min,

                'out=s'         => \$filtered_table,

                'in=s'          => \$phrase_table);

die "ERROR: must give threshold and phrase table input file and output file\n"
unless ($min && $phrase_table && $filtered_table);

die "ERROR: file $phrase_table does not exist\n" unless (-e $phrase_table);

open (PHRASETABLE, "<$phrase_table") or die "FATAL: Could not open phrase table
$phrase_table\n";;

open (FILTEREDTABLE, ">$filtered_table") or die "FATAL: Could not open phrase
table $filtered_table\n";;

while (my $line = <PHRASETABLE>)

{

        chomp $line;

        my @columns = split ('\|\|\|', $line);

        # check that file is a well formatted phrase table

        if (scalar @columns < 4)

        {

                die "ERROR: input file is not a well formatted phrase table. A
phrase table must have at least four colums each column separated by |||\n";

        }

        # get the probability and check it is less than the threshold

        my @scores = split /\s+/, $columns[2];

        if ($scores[3] > $min)

        {

                print FILTEREDTABLE $line."\n";;