From: amittai axelrod <amit...@umiacs.umd.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:03 PM
To: Read, James C; Hieu Hoang; Kenneth Heafield; moses-support@mit.edu
Cc: Arnold, Doug
Subject: Re: [Moses-support] Major bug found in Moses

this is a little hard to follow. "naturally" dropping the LM from the
equation makes the system worse, but "surprisingly" filtering out
suboptimal phrase pairs from the search space makes the system better?
it is not clear what your intuition derives from, though your faith in
it is astonishing.

regarding expectations -- i would expect publishable results to include
a comparison against a standard baseline. the comparison might not be
fair to your proposed system -- but that's not the baseline's fault!

as you are proposing a brand new translation paradigm on the grounds
that the current state of the art is broken, it is incumbent upon
you,the proponent, to show that your method works better than the
current standard. that's how science works.

you can have another baseline in there with no LM if you like, and say
you're isolating some small part of the sytem, and you can decide not to
tune your hypothesis system, but all baselines have to be tuned.

~amittai