With migration pretty much over(only migrant this morning were several flocks
of Canada Geese heading north), the only new bird today around Rapids Lake was
a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.   I have not noticed the 2 Prothonotary Warbler that
had been on the west and southwest side of the lake since I found them 2 weeks
ago.    Today, though, there was 1 Prothonotary on the far north end of the
lake and a 2nd along the Carver loop trail a little more than a mile from the
Carver Bluff Park parking area.   A surprisingly high number of Ovenbird(5)
were still scattered along the western shore of Rapids Lake, and Blue-winged
Warbler were all occupying their usual territory.   I usually don't notice
Ovenbirds around Rapids Lake beyond migration, but maybe they will stay here
this year.   A Scarlet Tanager has established territory near the southwest
shore of Rapids Lake.   Another territory is in the wooded area immediately
south of the visitor's center.   The Western Meadowlark southwest of Cologne
has attracted a mate, and they were busy constructing a nest this morning.
Some Bobolink had joined them in the pasture.   The 4 Red-necked Grebe that I
was able to see were hard at work.  Each pair was in the middle stages of
constructing their floating nest platform on Assumption Lake, going back and
forth from collecting wet reeds/mud to packing them onto the platform.  Both
nests were already partially obscured by the quick growing reeds at the public
access.     The closest nest is closer than any of last years, but it will be
completely blocked by reeds very soon.   As it is, I only got good looks when
the wind would blow the reeds to the side.  Yesterday there were at least 4
Dickcissel in the undeveloped fields surrounding the Waconia Target: 1 north, 1
east, and 2(male and female) south of the Target.