Tonight at 10:15pm while standing outside my workplace in Pequot Lakes a
large owl caught my eye as it hurled it self off of the cell phone tower in
our parking lot, caught a prey item , and then returned to perch again on
the cross bars of the cell tower.  I was able to watch the owl hawking prey
four times.  The owl was hunting in this way between the top and second
highest flashing red lights.  I would guess the height to be 75-150'.  While
I had heard of owls hawking insects I have never seen the behavior firsthand
and I was not aware that they would use a cell tower especially at that
height to aid in their hunting.

I assume it was hawking large moths and other insects but for the dignity of
the owl I hope it was not hunting those disgusting June Beetles : )

As to the identification of the owl - I cannot say definitively.  I was
never able to see the bird through my binoculars and the distance was too
great to see field marks with the naked eye as it perched .  Oh yeah, and it
was dark - the owl was being lit only by the parking lot lights well below
it.

Best work break ever!

Andrew Birch
Blackwater Lake - near Hackensack, MN