Dear Linda,

I am sorry I was not clear, but it was a not a Night Hawk.  It was an owl -
I assumed it was a Great-horned Owl but could not get any field marks that
could definitively eliminate Barred - other than the shear unlikeliness that
it was a barred.  I certainly wouldn't confuse a nighthawk with an owl - the
parking lot lights allowed me to see.

1.  This bird had rounded wings
2.  This bird was hawking prey from a perch
3.  This bird had pale under-wings - I would have clearly seen the wing-bar
if it were a night hawk.

After posting this I was even able to share the sighting with two other
non-birding coworkers (at about 12:15am) and they could tell by the way the
bird flew and it's short fat head that it was an owl.  After seeing it a
second time I was also quite convinced that it was in fact a Great-horned
Owl.

If anyone else is interested in trying to observe this behavior it was
hunting in the cell tower next to the Pequot Lakes High School.

Best,

Andrew Birch
Blackwater Lake - near Hackensack, MN
--