My first exposure to nature when I moved to MN from Oklahoma! I was out at
Grand Forks AFB managing a project of installing deep wells and assessing base
contamination. I was collecting samples from a monitoring well in late May in
the morning after a rainy night. Puddles were everywhere.

As I did my field work at the well, I noticed something move to my right. I
froze as I watched a Long-billed Dowitcher "Singer sewing machine" its way
through puddles not far from me. I stood frozen as in Oklahome such a bird is
rare indeed. I was afraid that any movement would make it fly away.

As I stood there, it continue "sewing machine" its way closer and closer. I
could barely breath or blink. Then as I stood there, the bird worked its way
right between my legs!!!!

I had this rush of OMG and then as I found that I could move (I was supposed to
get some work done!) and that the bird could care less. I said to myself "I'm
not in Oklahome anymore."

I didn't even watch the bird continue on its way as I went back the chore of
collecting groundwater samples from the well.

What a great preview of what I was in for in my move to the birdie land up
north.

By the way - please sign up for the MOU booth at the fair. Prime spots are
still available. Bring your kids to staff the wheel while you interact with the
birding public and the touch-screen computer. You can become an expert in as
little as 2 minutes the way it is set up for easy use.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN