From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of North,
Michael R (DNR)
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:27 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Pine Siskins

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that we are possibly seeing
an irruption of pine siskins rather than a normal spring movement.  I have
been having hundreds swarming at my home near Pillager (Cass County) since
May 15th.  On the 19th I caught one that was banded near Revelstoke, British
Columbia on August 22, 2012, as a hatch-year bird.  Also, I have banded
another 65 and they are all second-year and after second-year birds (no
young-of-the-year), and they all have wing lengths in the shorter spectrum
of the range of possible wing lengths, suggesting to me they are mostly
females with few males.  They are also heavy with fat and weighing in far
above the normal weight. None have shown any signs of breeding activity
(i.e., no brood patches, no cloacal protuberances). Definitely atypical.
The next few days or weeks should tell if we are having an irruption or
whether I am "all wet."