I had a pretty good weekend at my house on the North Shore this weekend. On
Saturday, I picked up a road killed deer (small...about 90 pounds) and placed
it in my field. I partially gutted it. Within about 10 minutes, about 40 crows
appeared (a migrating flock) and they started in on the carcass. Within 15
minutes, about 12 ravens came in, scattering the crows. About 15 minutes after
that, the first bald eagle arrived. Within an hour, we had 10 eagles taking
turns. Early the next morning (about 3 am), I was awakened by my dogs barking.
There was enough moonlight to see out in my field. On the carcass was a red
fox. Sunday morning, the eagles arrived early and I counted 9. Right around
lunchtime, two wolves raced out to the carcass and carried it off.

Other than those, I had a large number of Juncos, bluebirds and tree sparrows
moving through. I put out some corn on the driveway and the juncos and sparrows
were hitting that pretty hard. I also had the two Sandhill Cranes fly in (they
have been coming in about every other day at least for the last two months). It
was interesting how they interacted with the eagles...much more cautious but
they also figured out quick that the eagles were interested in the carcass. I
found another, larger carcass on Sunday afternoon and put that out in the field
(about 150 pound spike buck).  Between the eagles and wolves coming back in, it
lasted only until yesterday afternoon. My son called me when he got off the bus
and reported that he saw two wolves in the field, carrying off the last of the
remains. Several eagles were still hanging around, apparently looking for a few
remnant scraps.

Uwe Kausch

Duluth Township