Increased variety is slowly trickling into Carver County.   This morning on a
pretty typical dreary early spring day birds were, as well, fairly typical for
the date at Rapids Lake MVNWR.   Song and Fox Sparrow are here in decent
numbers(began arriving in significant numbers(more than 1) on March 30.  Fox
Sparrow numbers have declined slightly compared to April 1 though.  The first
few flocks of Tundra Swan were migrating west today.  A flock of Greater
White-fronted Geese flew in from the southwest and turned east overhead.  They
were fairly low and may have been looking for a spot to land.  Both
Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglet were present this morning.   My first
Golden-crowned Kinglet arrived on April 1.   The first couple non-Killdeer
shorebirds have made it to Carver County.   On March 31 a Pectoral Sandpiper
was in a flooded field along 150th St and today(April 3) a Baird's Sandpiper
was in the same field.

Other spring arrivals this past week.

March 28-Eastern Meadowlark and Rusty Blackbird at Rapids Lake MVNWR
March 30-Hermit Thrush at Rapids Lake MVNWR
April 1-American Woodcock(3) and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Rapids Lake MVNWR
To date I have found 20 species of waterfowl in Carver County.   More likely
species I have not seen though very easily could have been in or over the
county are Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Northern Shoveler, Redhead, Bufflehead,
Red-breasted Merganser, Ruddy Duck, and Pied-billed Grebe.