Wow. Someone apparently doesn't like Mike Hendrickson and felt this would
be the perfect thing to attack him over.  Bad form there, and, as Terry
just pointed out, breaks the rules of the listserve.
But this post isn't about Mike (who, by the way, does and has done more for
birds and birding in MN, and especially Sax-Zim Bog, than most.), it's
about the issue of using fake mice and other, similar lures to attract
owls, which I think most of us agree, is unethical.

Thank you Mike for bringing this to everyone's attention as it will affect
everyone and everyone should have a say in it.

Instead of bickering over who said what, let's focus on the pros and cons
of this imminent legislation.

First, what is the intent here?  It would seem to me that the intent is to
ban using fake mice to bait owls.
That's pretty simple isn't it?  The way this law is worded doesn't seem to
make it so simple.

And maybe the current wording, banning any means used to interact with owls
is better for the owls anyway.

But as Fr Paul says, it would seem that this wording is going to have some
unintended consequences.
With the current wording, it would make it illegal for anyone to even
imitate an owl without a permit.
As mentioned, anyone who is currently an owl surveyor would be required to
apply for a permit simply to complete their volunteer survey route.

Let me ask some other questions: how many of you saw your first owl while
on a guided naturalist walk or with a hired guide?  How many of you got
into birding because of that experience?   How many of you, because of that
experience, felt compelled to protect a family of birds that we all love so
much?
How many of you have seen the joy on the faces of new birders, looking at
their very first wild owl?
How many of you have been those new birders and gotten hooked because of
that?

You have your naturalists and guides to thank for that experience.

If this legislation goes through as written, that experience will become
substantially more difficult to have.
Owl walks may cease altogether due to the immense difficulty of finding
owls without means of locating them.

As Rebecca just mentioned, it would seem to me that even though this
particular legislation is focused on owls, it could easily later be
expanded to other species.

So how much do we protect a species/family at the cost of losing the
opportunity to educate others on the importance of protecting a
species/family?

Or just birds in general.
Something to think about.

--Chris W
Madison, WI (and occasionally Duluth, MN)

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Madison, WI
Tour Leader
Swallowtail Birding Tours
https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hl