Several people have suggested that it's a Virginia Rail, which I really
should more seriously considered earlier (I had originally dismissed it due
to the coloring -- most depictions of the Virginia Rail have significantly
stronger coloring on the bill and eye, the the part where the wing overlaps
the tail seems different).

Upon further research, the main difference seems to be the size.  As for
size, this bird is definitely bigger than a Blue Jay, but necessarily as
large as a Crow.

I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking it's something it's not -- so
please keep in mind I am not familiar with Rails and didn't realize how
significant a King Rail would be.

Still, to me, a King Rail seems most likely (when the significance is not
considered).

It's still here if anyone wants to check it out. 385 W 3rd St, Zumbrota, MN
55992.  Call my cell for updates if you're heading this way: 612-492-1010.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Elijah