In the last couple of weeks I added two species to my yard list: Merlin and
Sand Hill Crane. I am still occasionally seeing a Tufted Titmouse at the
feeder. But, now we are only seeing a single bird, rather than a pair. My
wife believes that we are seeing much fewer ducks on our lakes than
previous falls. We will have to see.

I heard from one of my friends that they were disappointed to find no
cranes this last weekend at Crex Meadows. I haven't heard of any recent
reports of them being around.

I keep the mouse traps in the garage baited with peanut butter to catch the
deer mice trying to come into the house. Besides the deer mice, I have also
caught short-tailed shrews and masked or cinereus shrews.

This is the time of the year when buckthorn really depresses me. Look at
almost any stand of tree around this part of the state and you see a green
understory. This is all buckthorn crowding out native plants. It always
amazes me the number of buckthorn hedges you can still find in yards around
the cities. Many people just don't know that it is a noxious weed that is
prohibited by law to be sold anywhere in the state. This is the time of
year to get into your yard and pull all those buckthorn seedlings before
they get big and hard to pull. Any plants still green, besides evergreens,
this time of year, is probably not native to our area. Other non-native
plants still green include honeysuckle, lilacs, yard grass.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net