Thursday: Spent the day birding the Minnesota River Valley Wildlife Refuge
in Bloomington with Craig Mandel and Martyn Kenefick. Martyn was visiting
the Twin Cities from Trinidad and Tobago and is the author of the field
guide for those islands. In the morning we birded the trail to the west of
Old Cedar Bridge where we found some 67 species, of which I logged 62. Not
only were the number of species good, but the numbers were impressive. This
included 18 warblers, the most common being American Redstart and
Blackpoll, which we found at least 30 of. These included the early migrant
Yellow-rumps and well as the late Canadas. We had 7 species of flycatcher,
I added an eighth in the afternoon, missing only the Acadian and Willow,
both of which could possibly have been represented by silent individuals.
The most common flycatcher, surprisingly was 5 Yellow-bellies. Interesting
finds included 2 Pine Siskins (perhaps they will be breeding in the area)
and a Philadelphia Vireo. The most shockingly common bird was Scarlet
Tanager, which were numbered at least 30 or 40. Eleven were visible at one
time at one point.

In the afternoon I took a couple of novice birders out to the refuge
visitor center and the bass ponds adding 11 more species, the most notable
was a Red-headed Woodpecker, visible by feeders of the visitor center,
where it might be nesting.

Warblers and thrushes continue to be hanging around my yard in good
variety. Canada Geese production is definitely down this year on our lake.
Gosling broods number from 1 to 5 and there are many geese around with no
young. No Mallard broods have been seen yet. Two Wood Duck broods have been
seen hanging together. One has 11 ducklings, the other over 20. I haven't
examined the ducklings to confirm that they are all Wood Ducks. I have not
yet checked my boxes, all 4 of which we believe were occupied.

The backyard is becoming noisy at night with the songs of treefrogs. The
earlier songs had been gray treefrogs, but now more Copes gray treefrogs
are joining the orchestra. Last year at the climax of the chorus, Copes
outnumbered grays 10 to 1. We have yet to hear toads, but I expect them to
join in the next few days.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net