Here in Plymouth, a similar bad year for waterfowl.  Yesterday, I checked
our three Wood Duck nest boxes.  It appears that all three failed.  One box
was unused - no sign of activity.  The other two boxes contained 8 and 9
unhatched eggs.  No sign of broken eggs.  The nests contained down feathers
and we have observed Wood Duck hens entering and exiting the boxes.  We
have observed Hooded Mergansers occasionally on the pond but no young and
no Hoody eggs in the boxes.

We did observe two broods of Wood Duck ducklings on the pond roughly 2
weeks ago but only for a few days.  One brood had 10 and one had 20+
(difficult to count exactly).  My neighbor, who lives a few doors away but
not on the pond, called me the day before I observed the 20-duckling brood
and told us that he had seen the hen and ducklings walking through his
yard.  Evidently, they hatched in another neighborhood nest box.  However,
both large broods disappeared just a few days after we saw them.  There are
several small lakes in the area so it is possible they walked to one of
those lakes.  At the moment, we have one lone, 1/3 grown Wood Duck duckling
on the pond.

I will note that we have a resident Broad-winged Hawk here.  I see it
nearly every day.  Last year, I saw it take one of the Woodie ducklings so
perhaps he/she is partly responsible for Wood Duck attrition.  We also have
cats, dogs, snapping turtles, foxes and coyotes (not at the same time)
around so there are lots of predators.  However, predation likely does not
account for the failed boxes given that we see adult ducks regularly.  Wood
Ducks arrived this spring long before the ice disappeared so the cold May
probably did not help.  The late ice out might explain the late arrival of
'Hoodies' and lack of 'Hoodie' eggs.

We have one Mallard pair and a few male Mallards but, so far, no sign of
Mallard nesting or young.  This is not surprising because it has been
several years since we had Mallard reproduction here.

As far as small songbirds are concerned, we are probably typical.  We had
many warblers, vireos, et al during migration.  Pine Siskins just left a
few days ago but we have about the usual number of Chickadees, Woodpeckers,
Goldfinches, Great-crested Flycatchers, Orioles, Nuthatches, Wrens, etc as
usual.  However, I think Chickadee chicks are late this year.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN