From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> On Behalf Of Nancy Steinhauser
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2024 8:36 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Ruby Throated Population

Wondering if anyone else has seen the numbers go down this summer.  From a
great start (over 30 birds arrived at the feeders.....and who knows the ones I
didn't see) in mid-May, the numbers now have dwindled to less than a dozen, and
that's up from 3 or 4 because the little ones have fledged.
Neighbors and co-workers (the north shore and inland above Two Harbors) have
reported the same "drop" in birds.  Bewildered.  They started to disappear
early to mid-June and have not returned.  Wondering about bird flu.
We have had a huge mosquito population this summer because of all the rain.
But that hasn't dropped hummingbird numbers coming to feeders in previous wet
summers.
Any ideas/experiences?  The numbers here have been steadily going up for over
25 years.  Many feeders out.  Such a shock to have so few birds.
Thanks in advance.
Nancy in Superior Highlands