From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> On Behalf Of Nancy Steinhauser
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2024 7:34 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Hummingbird Numbers

I have been recording hummingbird activity here for 28 years.  No red dye.
Cleaning and refilling feeders every 2-3 days.  I know the populations go up
and down depending on what they're doing in their breeding and life cycle.  But
this year has been an anomaly.  And the same with neighbors and friends.  A
very scary anomaly.  Everyone is bewildered up here.  How can we all get the
"normal" big, medium or low numbers arriving back in the Spring, and then have
them all disappear?  I'm watching 6 out my window now.  A large number arrived
in the Spring but there are very few left.
And the recent uptick is fledglings.
I'm asking about bird flu.  Have ruby-throated's succumbed to bird flu?
Does anyone keep track?
Or - is there something else happening that's killing them?
Thanks for all the info.