We had a pair of Eastern Bluebirds in a box on our hillside. Then suddenly
they weren’t showing up anymore. I checked the box yesterday and there was
a bluebird nest with 4 incubated blue eggs in it. The same thing happened
with our Tree Swallows. They claimed their box in the prairie, and when I
checked it yesterday, there was a nest with an unincubated egg in it but
the nest was invaded with ants. I don’t know when the ants showed up -
before or after the swallows left.

We have the usual helicopter drop pellets over our marsh on the northwest
end of Long Lake every summer. I’m wondering if the birds have been
poisoned. Or if the severe weather events had anything to do with their
departure.

Where is Rachel Carson when we need her?

Becky Field