Bonjour les gens,

S'il était besoin de le préciser, je rejoins la position de Jean-Bernard sur le sujet. J'aurais sans doute employé un langage plus fleuri, mais bon :-) . À ce sujet, je vous conseille de lire le très bon billet de Ken Saunders sur m.governance qui reflète bien selon moi la position d'une grande majorité de la communauté qui ne s'est pas exprimée :

Cédric

I still find all of this to be so sad. I mean all of it. The
divisiveness, the time wasted, the distraction, the negative feelings
about others, it's a shame.

To begin with, I don't see how Mozilla being larger now has a whole
lot to do with much. Five, even ten or more years ago Mozilla wasn't
some sort of cult with people all believing and supporting the very
same things across the board in all aspects of life. Mozilla's mission
and goals are what was, and still are the reasons for people coming
together. If you're focus and attention isn't on that alone, then
you're doing something wrong.

I (of course) agree that action(s) should be taken against those who
verbally assault and abuse other Mozillians (Deb should -never- have
been made to feel so uncomfortable whatever the details were), and
that there should be safe channels for victims of such things to
report that and have them addressed by those in authority to do so
(like Mitchell mentioned), but do we really need in writing a detailed
listing of how to treat one another, and that covers every minority,
class, group, etc that we all think needs to be listed as a protected
one?
If so, that's pathetic.
I don't see any Mozillian that has different -personal- beliefs than I
do as an evil, or awful human being. They just believe in something
different and I focus on what we do have in common which is Mozilla.

IMO, an ongoing, widespread problem needs a solution.
That doesn't apply here and that has been pointed out by a few people
that have been around long enough to know.

For what's it worth, I vaguely recall several years back someone, or
some people having an issue with our very own Gerv posting religious
content on his blog that was syndicated through Planet.
How was that addressed? I don't recall. But it didn't blow up into
anything major and certainly not anything remotely close to this and
we all went on, things turned out fine, and that's probably why most
of you never knew this.
It's a shame that the cooling off period that some suggested didn't
occur here.

People could have just scrolled on by Gerv's personal post and went on
with their lives. And before you blast me for saying that, I know all
about discrimination and being a minority.
I am disabled. My disability can be seen. I've experienced violent
racism, some call it reverse racism, I called it racism. I've also
known socio-economic discrimination. Oh, and for the record, not only
wealthy, well-to-do individuals volunteer for Mozilla and want to help
out disadvantaged ones. Anyone can be selfless.

Getting through things has nothing to do with developing a thick skin,
it's how you personally decide to handle things and how you pick and
choose your battles. Responding with positive actions and efforts is
always more productive and personally rewarding than engaging in
something with someone who will never agree with you or see your side
of things.
Some positive examples.
"the first private email I received about my blog post was a
notification that a donation to the National Center for Lesbian Rights
had been made "in my honour""
Awesome! I love it!
When I saw that it wasn't easy for Firefox users with disabilities to
find organized and readily available end user information and
resources for their specific needs, I created Access Firefox. I didn't
claim that Mozilla was being discriminatory or exclusionary for not
doing it themselves.
Some groups have celebrated who they are and have addressed the needs
and perhaps desires of others like themselves by creating things like
Blackbird, "an Internet browser developed for the African American
community" and Epic Browser, "the first-ever web browser for India"
A Mozilla powered browser for the gay, lesbian, etc, community would
be enormously successful ( feel free to run with it, thank me
later  ). Rainbow Browser?
Look at how many different Mozilla communities there are. Some people
felt underrepresented so they did something positive like creating
locale specific communities. They didn't accuse Mozilla of being
exclusionary.
Mozilla can't be or do all things for all people but Mozilla will
surely support and praise positive efforts and actions of those who
take things into their own hands.

I'm a minority, and a disabled person and Mozilla doesn't need to put
anything in stone that says I'm welcome here.
I'm not nearly as literate or as skilled with coding and technology as
the majority of you reading this are and I've never needed Mozilla or
anyone within to say that I am welcome regardless of that, and have
never felt like an outsider because of it.

Ask anyone that handles the incoming inquiries for getting involved
and I'd doubt that a single one of them gets ridiculous questions
like, "I'm an African American Jewish Lesbian that has Cerebral palsy,
can I still volunteer? And will I be made to feel uncomfortable?" Why
does it now have to be put in writing that certain groups are welcome
when they were not ever unwelcome to begin with.

Verbal assaults and abuse should not be tolerated at all and the
person doing it knows that they're doing it.
If there isn't a system in place to handle that, then sure, put it in
writing. Beyond that, well, there are so many other things that we do
all agree on and that's where our time and attention should be.
How's the quote go? Something like, embrace the things that unites us
not divides us.

Since I've read more comments since I started writing this, I have to
add that I've interacted with Mozillians of all levels including paid
employees and founders and have -never- -ever- been made to feel
unwelcome, irrelevant, that I'm imposing, that I'm any less valuable
than anyone else, or that those with whom I was interacting with were
any better than I was in any way whatsoever, and I'm just a grain of
sand on a beach here. I've never received anything less than great
respect, encouragement, support, and appreciation.
If others have different and negative experiences with Mozillians in
positions of authority, power, whatever, then that should absolutely
be addressed and that should be done by other Mozilla veterans who
know better, but I personally haven't seen or felt that myself.
I've seen some hints of people trying to villainize Mozilla here and
it's just unbelievable. It sickens me.
It's like people are turning their guns on Mozilla.

Finally, we're a family. You must have people in your own families
with faults (as you see them), and that have differing opinions and
beliefs than you do yet you find a way to accept and love them. Can't
you do the same here?

Would saying please help?

Ken