Ian G wrote:

If HTTPS is the use for the cert, then as I suggested
in some other random long rant today (!) we could
always ask the domain owner to stick something in
the HTTP page.

Sort of like a little icon ad that people commonly do,
you can see a couple of them in the below link.  I
think that makes a case that whoever stuck those
in there has at least some control over the domain,
for HTTP purposes.

Sorry for being thick here, but I don't understand what you're suggesting. How does the content of an insecure web page offer any proof of ownership that is stronger than email? One falsified DNS record, or one bad line in your "hosts" file, is all it takes to spoof any/all insecure web content from any one site.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.